Dare to Dream... A South Pacific Bubble - New Caledonia
Vive la France!
A South Pacific, French inspired, travel and golf haven – New Caledonia. With four welcoming and challenge courses, including the Exclusiv Golf de Déva, Garden Golf de Dumbéa, Tina Golf and Ouenghi Golf, this week’s Dare to Dream is New Caledonia.
Jewels of nature - From the courses in Tina and Déva to those located in Ouenghi and Dumbéa, golf in New Caledonia is truly incomparable. Although each course has its own unique identity, these spectacular courses are all abundant in natural beauty that originates from the archipelago’s varied geography. At Dumbéa, the course follows the river, at Boulouparis, the soft valleys of the course invite you to complete all 18 holes, while at Déva the Championship links features a challenging semi links layout with superb cut fairways, well positioned bunkers and large fast greens. At Tina, mangroves, slopes, water and out of bounds are regularly in play with views from some holes allowing you to see straight out over the Pacific Ocean. True jewels of nature, it’s difficult to decide which course to visit first, so why not plan a game of golf at each?
Although golf in New Caledonia is suited to a variety of skill levels, there are some parts of the archipelago’s courses that take incredible technique to conquer. The 17th hole of Garden Golf de Dumbéa in Dumbéa, for example, is one of the longest and most complicated par-5 holes in the Pacific. At 560 metres long, and with a dogleg hole, a small lake, and a river to cross, it’ll test even the most well practiced players. Those planning a visit to Golf de Tina in Nouméa should note too that easterly winds will challenge your skills as you make your way across the course.
The region’s golf courses:
- Exclusiv Golf Deva, Bourail - an 18-hole international championship course designed by golf architects Dye Designs Group
- Garden Golf de Dumbéa, Dumbéa - New Caledonia’s oldest golf club with panoramic mountain views
- Golf del la Ouenghi, Boulouparis - set between the mountains and river, the course sits at the gateway to the bush
- Golf de Tina, Nouméa - overlooks the world’s largest lagoon, using the local geography to its advantage
- Pacific Golf driving range, Nouméa - a covered, 20 bay driving range located at the heart of Nouméa